Saturday 13 August 2011

Matterhorn Valley

This was a very unusual experience for a couple of Aussies - to drive the car onto the back of a train and be transported through a dark tunnel under the mountains, but it beats the hairpin bends, without a doubt.
More beautiful Swiss countryside at the other end of the tunnel and then the inevitable climbing up more mountains in order to reach our evening destination - the Alpenrosli hostel - which is frequented by skiers in the winter and hikers in the summer.
Its hard to get a shot of a Swiss house without a mountain in the background. Gorgeous!
Getting up high now and yes, those are entire villages you see in the valley below.

So this is the view from Alpenrosli Hostel. It actually takes me a while to feel comfortable in a place with so little flat space. I feel like I might tip over and fall off the mountain if I turn around too fast!
This is the view looking up from our balcony and yes, I do believe that is a glacier you see several hundred metres above us.

Here are the mountains to the right of our balcony and the Matterhorn is in that general direction, but hiding behind clouds. We will go to Zermatt to try to visit tomorrow.
While we relaxed in the restaurant, the sun set and this was the result. What a sight! Looks like the mountain is on fire. 
Traditional fare tonight - Rosti - which is fried, grated potato cake with ham and cheese and a fried egg - like a big hash brown.

3 comments:

diane b said...

Ahhhh it makes me homesick for my second homeland.

Don't you just love the scenery. I hope it is fine and clear for you to go to Zermatt. Go up on the train to Gornigal but take your oxygen mask. The train through the tunnel is fun. We did that in winter and we stayed in the car and nearly froze to death.

wilbo43 said...

I am so envious! Especially when I saw the Rösti with cheese and eggs, hang on I'm coming to join you. I think Diane meant 'Gornergrat' in her comment. It is worth a day trip, don't worry about oxygen, it's not that bad. You'll probably see some St Bernhard dogs up there. Have fun.

Anonymous said...

And 'Chicken' is not the same as Shincken....