Wednesday 20 July 2011

Location! Location! Location!

I will have to catch up on the latter half of my Trafalgar tour of Ireland at a later date, because I have just had one of the most amazing days of my life and I have to share it! I made a special trip from Dublin to Northern Ireland - 5.5 hours on 3 different trains - to visit the Dunluce castle ruins. THIS IS OUR FAMILY CASTLE! The sun shone brilliantly for the first time in a whole month in Northern Ireland.

I have at least 100 photos of this castle and they are all spectacular. Here is the view to the right...

and cast your eyes left and this is what you see. Talk about location! No wonder they used to kill each other to live here.

Parts of the castle are 600 years old... 
and there are later additions, including "posh" 17th century stone architraves.
The kitchen featured several ovens and chimneys...there were guests quarters, a great hall in the manor house, bedrooms and many fireplaces, a bridged entrance, towers and a garderobe (toilet.)
But at every angle the view was breathtaking. I was enchanted by this place and spent 3 hours exploring it. There is even a sea cave entrance where they could enter (or escape) by boat at low tide.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant photos, I can feel your excitement. Beats workin'. Ann J

diane b said...

That must have been exciting to wander around an ancestors castle. It looks a nice day but I can see that you are dressed for an Irish summer day!!!!

Anonymous said...

I am absolutely loving your photos and commentary!!! I am so glad you are having such a wonderful time and able to share it with us so instantly. Keep it comin! Shelby

Anonymous said...

Hi Dot Dot. Have you tried to make a claim on the property? Not a bad pozy. Must be starting the European leg soon? Keep it coming. V

Kaz said...

Hey V Re: a claim on the property...when I said my grandmother's name was MacDonnell, the guy at the information desk said they had a 4.5 million pound land tax bill they'd like to have a chat about! K

Anonymous said...

haha bet you got back in your hole then! It's even better than our google earth tour. Rude